Monday, April 8, 2013

"Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and Touring Savannah



Date:                                   April 8, 2013

Days on the Cruise:            14

From:                                 Thunderbolt Marina, Thunderbolt (Savannah), GA

To:                                     Thunderbolt Marina, Thunderbolt (Savannah), GA

Statute Miles:                  

Time:                                

Cumulative Miles:              634.6

On Board:                          Chuck, Susan, Maggie, Trooper, Peanut, joined by Susan's sister Linda and      
her husband Richard

Big News on Wi-Fi!!!! First, today I think I solved the poor Wi-Fi issue. I can do this blog fine using my laptop. Not so much with my iPad. I need Wi-Fi to get my laptop connected to a network. With the iPad, I connect with my AT&T 3G. Soooo, this morning I called AT&T about getting my iPhone set up as a tether to create a Wi-Fi "Hotspot" with the iPhone. I changed my data plan to use the iPhone and now I can get network service for my laptop anywhere I can get AT&T. Works well, so I can get back on track with publishing these blogs. I am no longer dependent on poor Wi-Fi at these marinas.

Today we went into Savannah and did tourist things. We started at the Visitor's Center downtown. We decided to do the trolley tour to get an overview of the town, then go back to things we wanted to see close up. The trolley tour lasted to stop 4 near Madison Square. We jumped off to eat lunch at the 6 Pence Pub on Bull Street. We picked this place because it had available tables outside. We love to sit on the sidewalk and eat and people watch. It was great!
Oglethorpe Statute A.K.A. Captain Morgan of "Captain and Coke" Fame

Linda and Susan


After lunch we basically walked up Bull Street and toured the squares all the way to Forsythe Square which is the Grand Daddy of all the Squares. We walked in the neighborhoods and saw the beautiful homes that are raised off the street. We also saw several churches including St. Johns Episcopal and a Temple. It was neat to see art students from SCAD around town painting and drawing the churches and houses.
Forsythe Square

Susan and Richard
Richard, Linda, Susan in a Square
We caught back up to the trolley on stop 5 or 6, then got back off at St. John the Baptist Catholic Cathedral. This Church is so ornate and beautiful. It is awesome!

Back on the trolley to the River and its street along the waterfront with all the multitude of restaurants and stores in old cotton warehouses. We walked from near the Hyatt to the Marriott, then took a free water taxi back to the Hyatt. Back on the trolley to finish the trolley circuit and back to the visitor's center.
River Street

River Walk
Chuck, Linda, Susan on the River Walk
I was amazed at how big the Savannah chef Paula Deen's Brand has become. Her restaurants are everywhere and there are long lines to get into these establishments. Paula started as the Brown Bag Queen of Savannah, and now she is Savannah. Hard to believe. Let Paula go down and a big chunk of the things to see and talk about in Savannah will go down.

We went back to the boat after the trolley to freshen up and have some drinks. While there, the biggest sail boat I have ever seen came into the Thunderbolt Basin and docked. This thing is unbelievable!
Biggest Sail Boat I Have Ever Seen in Thunderbolt Basin

Look at the Size of This Thing!
Sail Boat at the Face Dock

Dinner tonight was at the Pirate House in Savannah. It is located in several very old buildings on the West side of the district. We saw the tunnel that did lead to the River where sailors were recruited from the old bar and hustled off to work on ships that sailed from Savannah. We saw the oldest house in Georgia that is part of the restaurant. All in all, it was a good meal in a neat old restaurant.

Tomorrow we go back to Savannah to focus on seeing some specific things and look into some of the shops. We also might go to Tybee Island to check that out.

Thanks for Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Chuck, great update. Wanted to let you know we were working on updating our blog and Jan figured out in order to use the iPad efficiently and add pictures you need to use the free Blogger app. This has worked great. Maybe give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. I still haven't mastered this on the iPad, although I am getting closer. I think it depends heavily on connectivity, and that has been a problem along the ICW. Today I connected my laptop directly to my cell phone instead of trying to do a blue tooth connect and it is working great.

      Delete