Monday, April 1, 2013

Breaking News: Trip Cancelled - Boat Up for Sale

OK, so it's April 1. What else could I say on this venerable day for tomfoolery and other acts of disrespect for the truth?

We enjoyed just hanging out yesterday and doing basically nothing. Our work list included putting the letters on the dinghy bottom that I had painted week before last and trying to mark our new anchor line at 25' intervals. Both activities were competed.



Our grand daughter Ava spent the night with us on the boat. Susan is trying to spend as much time with the grand daughters as possible before we leave.
We ate dinner with Beth and the girls again tonight. This time at Cracker Barrel. I was not impressed.

I am still tying up loose ends. Made a run to Academy and Lowes after Cracker Barrel for more bungee cords, fasteners, cleaner, and a million other little things that I think I will need.

Hopefully the new anchor will be here tomorrow. We are set up to install it and re-wind the rope and chain on the windlass tomorrow. I think the rain will stay away-unlike today where we had T-Storms and periodic rain.

We started our cruise planning for the next week. First the weather. I located and logged weather sites for the towns we will hit all the way up to Myrtle Beach. These sites will give me marine weather and forecasts.

Looks like our first weather monkey wrench now looms for this Thursday. Weather looks OK for the Wednesday departure going to Fernandina Beach, but Thursday is 90% rain and gusty winds up to 20-22 mph. We have a 4-5 hour run on Thursday. I will make a call Wednesday on whether to lay over another day in Fernandina Beach and only stay 1 night at St. Simons. I am fine with this, as in Fernandina, the marina is right downtown, whereas at St. Simons, we are out on the causeway which is a good bike ride to the neat areas of the Island. Hey, this is why you work buffer days into the schedule. I just didn't think we would need a buffer day on the second day out!

On a positive note, the weather starting Saturday looks great through the later part of next week.

Susan made a reservation at the Fernandina Harbor Marina this morning, so we are good for one night there at least. We are shooting to be in Savannah on Sunday and be there until next Wednesday. Susan's sister Linda and her husband Richard come aboard for the Savannah to Charleston leg of the trip. It will be fun!

Tomorrow, in addition to getting the anchor deal completed, we need to finish provisioning and do laundry. I would also like to go to a nearby marina and fill up the boat if possible. Finally we will position our car and get Beth to bring us back to Ortega Landing. This will be done tomorrow evening so that we can get all the use out of the car that we need.

I want to thank all of you that have started to read this Blog. I have heard from family and friends who are reading it. I have even received some phone calls from friends that say they are enjoying it.

We have tweaked the look of the Blog a little, going with a new template that my friend Doug Martin and his wife Jan are using for their 4 month Summer trip around Lake Superior.

I hope that this April 1 edition will display pictures like they are supposed to instead of having them all at the end of the Blog. I will continue to tweak as I find folks that have been there-done that on this blogspot website.

Thanks for Reading!

 

3 comments:

  1. Had me going there on the "boat for sale" - looking forward to following your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy April Fool's Day. I appreciate you reading the Blog!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete