Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Working Around the Rain on the First Day of Spring

So today is the first day of Spring, 2013. We leave heading North two weeks from today! The departure is rushing toward us like a freight train.

Today's forecast in JAX was for rain around 1:00 PM then most of the afternoon. My primary objective now is to get the bottom of the dinghy painted. I put the etching primer on yesterday evening and this morning the paint looked OK and was dry. The rain started this morning about 11. Light rain, nothing torrential.

At 1:00 the sun was peeking through. I looked at the radar and saw nothing to the West or North West which are the directions that the weather had been moving this morning. So, I went ahead and painted the second primer paint, which is white. This would let me apply the finish paint coats tomorrow afternoon. I was feeling pretty good!

I had decided on my storage solutions for the spaces in the engine room this morning,and I made a list of material that I would need to put the storage in place. After I put the second primer paint on, I went out on a run to get some material.

At 4:45 this afternoon, the hard rain hit us. I was at a Target near the Naval Air Station, about three miles from the boat. The rains came. When I got to the marina, I had to make a run for the dock. As I jumped onto the boat in the rain, I checked the dinghy and the second primer had dried enough so that the rain seemed to be running off the hull without affecting the paint. Whew!!

I am staying here tomorrow to finish the painting. The forecast is for sunny skies and NO rain! I will also finish the storage bins tomorrow.

Heading back to Alabama on Friday.

Susan's sister's husband is in grave condition tonight under Hospice care at home in Montgomery, AL. Our prayers are with he and Susan's sister, Joan.

Thanks for reading.

Pictures today:

The dinghy with the white primer applied

2. Area in the engine room where we will but storage bins



No comments:

Post a Comment