Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Three Weeks to Go

Three weeks from today we shove off from Ortega Landing Marina heading down the St. Johns River then North to points beyond.

Susan and I both had dermatologist appointments today in Auburn. We took advantage of this time of being in town to get two back packs and some painting supplies to do the bottom of the dinghy.

I had been looking at backpacks that we can use when we ride our bikes to the stores in the towns we visit. We carry two bikes with us on the stern deck of the boat. We use the swim platform to wheel them on and off the boat and onto the docks. They don't take up much room.

On our trip last year, we used the bikes to go from the marinas to drug stores and grocery stores. In Stuart, FL we rode about 5 miles round trip to a drug store to get prescriptions refilled. We stopped on the way back at a Publix grocery store. When we checked out, we told them we had to have all the purchases in no more than 4 bags. Susan hung 2 bags on her handle bars and I hung 2 on my handle bars. It was shaky getting back, but we made it.

Since last year, we got baskets for the handlebars. The backpacks that we got today are mesh type and we should be able to get 2 or 3 bags of groceries in each. We got them in red so people can see us from behind as we boogie along the bike paths or roads or sidewalks. I think that we should each be able to handle 6 or 7 bags with the back packs, baskets, and handle bars. Time will tell!

The Erie Canal Cruising Guide was delivered today along with some brochures of New York waterways. The Canal Corporation looks to be a first class group. The Cruising Guide is 11"x17" and is very impressive. They were very kind to also send us the brochures. I think with minimal commercial traffic on the canal in this day and time that the lifeblood is the pleasure boater. They are promoting the waterways to the pleasure boater very well!

I also received a GPS receiver for my MAC laptop that I ordered yesterday. Great service! I read about a navigation software program that works on MACs yesterday in the AGLCA daily blog. I also found that I need the GPS receiver to make the software work. So, we will see if we can get all of this working.

Rodger sent me pictures of the new inverter installation today. Looks good to me. I scratched that one off my Check List.

I resigned from Meals on Wheels this afternoon in preparation for not being available to deliver meals one day a month. I will pick this back up when we get back. It is something that I enjoy.

I communicated with my friend Doug in Ohio today. I worked with him with the construction company. He has a big trawler that he keeps just north of Toledo. He is preparing to do a 4 month trip to Lake Superior in the trawler starting June 1. We are sharing some things that can help us both enjoy our cruising experiences. I hope he and his wife can do the Loop trip next year and that we can get together.

Until tomorrow! Thanks for reading.

Pictures Below:

1. New Mesh Back Packs

2. Erie Canal Cruising Guide

3. New York Waterways Brochures

4. New Inverter and Switch








No comments:

Post a Comment