Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday in JAX

Yesterday we ate breakfast with Amanda and Ben at a local breakfast/lunch cafe in Daphne. It is in an old house, and it has a lot of charm. Very good meal and definitely a place to go back to!

I drove to JAX yesterday afternoon, and Susan returned home. We had a great visit with Amanda and Ben. The next time we see them will be when their baby is born in about two months. Can't wait for that!

The boat was filthy. Birds and bugs had done their things all over the vessel. It was almost embarrassing. I wound up washing the big boat this afternoon and it looks a little more respectable.

Rain was in the forecast for today, so I held off on any painting of the dinghy. I did do some bottom prep to get ready to paint tomorrow or Wednesday. Rain is in the forecast for the entire week, so I am taking this a day at a time. I got some mineral spirits and sandpaper to use in the prep and painting.

Rodger came by and we checked out the inverter and the things that we need to have to do the maintenance tomorrow. The freezer is working well,and I am excited to have the inverter.

We looked at the windlass and decided to splice an anchor rope (line) to the chain. We also need to add a swivel to the anchor. I have learned how to do splicing, but the attachment of the line to a chain is a specialized splice that needs to be done professionally. Rodger will get this done before we leave on the trip.

Our slip neighbor, Patrick, has a beautiful 26' skiff moored between our boat and his 44' Schucker motor sailer. He showed me this boat that he got for a "racehorse deal". I love it!

We have a new sailboat moored behind us on the other side of the dock. Not sure who this belongs to.

We have another new boat that is moored several slips down from us. Patrick told me that the owners are preparing to start the Loop. They are away from the boat for a few weeks, and I hope we can meet them before we start our trip.

I met another new lady on our dock who is on her sailboat with her husband. They are from Salt Lake City and are returning home tomorrow for a month or so.

I also met a man and his son who were looking at marinas to put a 34' sailboat that the son was going to buy to live on. They were looking at our dock. The son is in the Coast Guard and is a flight mechanic on a rescue helicopter. He is being reassigned to JAX in June. I told them that it would be a dream come true to live on a sailboat at a nice marina while in the military.

We have a Navy pilot that lives on his boat right behind us. He flies out of NAS JAX that is right down the road. He has two small dogs that he keeps on the boat. Maggie never misses an opportunity to give these dogs grief!

Tomorrow is maintenance day with Rodger. Hope the rain holds off!

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment