Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Checklist: One Step Forward and Two Steps Back


True to my construction training and experience, I have developed and am running a Checklist in order to ensure that all things that we need to do to leave on the trip are identified, planned, and then checked off when complete. The Checklist lives on my iPad, and one of the first things that I do every morning is to review the list, add to it as necessary, then print an updated copy for Susan and I to use during the day.

I love seeing items completed and checked off. I love it when Susan brings her copy in with her items checked off. I don't love it when we continually add items to do every day. We check one item off, but add two more. UGH!!!

But that is what a Checklist is for! Keep adding the items because it might not get done if it isn't on the List!

Today was a good day for the Checklist. We got our Coast Guard Boarding Book updated. This was an item on the list. A boarding by the Coast Guard for a safety inspection is inevitable. Hasn't happened yet, but it will. Probably sooner than later, too. From what I have seen, you will be cruising along minding your own business. You will either pass a Coast Guard Patrol Boat or they will overtake you. Either way, they are in position to come alongside, drop off an officer or two, and do a thorough boat inspection.

I welcome the visit. So, I have developed a three ring notebook called the "Coast Guard Boarding Book". This has copies of all information, documentation and certifications, as well as pictures of the safety equipment we carry, etc. I patterned this book after similar books that we put together when we built hospitals. We would do a book like this for the State Health Agencies and their Occupancy Inspections and Certifications. All the information is in one place; in the three ring notebook.

So, when we are boarded, I will greet the Coast Guardsperson, bring him or her aboard, offer them a drink, and take them through the notebook. Hopefully this will show them that we are prepared and that we have the mandated paperwork and equipment. Our fingers are crossed.

Today we also ordered a cruising guide to the Erie Canal. Found this on the Erie Canal Corporation web site. Called the 800 number listed on the site, but no one answered. I found another number and called it. This time I got someone in the Finance Department. They weren't giving away any money today, so she switched me over to a very nice lady who took my order. The book is to be shipped today and I should have it when UPS Ground brings it to Alabama. The Erie Canal is one of the legs of the trip that I am looking forward to the most. I have seen pictures and videos and it looks so green and laid back, with old locks and old historical towns. There are many towns where you can tie up to the town wall and visit the town and stay over night.


Yesterday I ordered vinyl letters to go on the bottom of the dinghy with our boat name and home port. With the Dinghy hooked to the swim platform, the boat name and home port that is on the transom is covered up. I think there is a reg somewhere that requires the home port to be displayed. I will just put the boat name and port on the bottom of the dinghy. But, this made me add another "to do" item to the Checklist: paint the bottom of the dinghy. More on this later.

Tomorrow I will look at Towing Services and the things we did today to review our risks and what we might do on this subject.

Thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment